62°

Lucy Chen’s senior column

Let’s be honest here. I probably don’t know who you are, but you might know of me. Either as that one smart girl or as that person who owns All My Friends Are Dead and Grimmer Tales. So as much as I’d like to say, it’s been an okay ride, Ames High, it wouldn’t make sense. Who would I be talking to? The teachers or the approximately ten people outside of some of WEB staff I actually talk to? Nonetheless, you’re probably expecting some advice, maybe on academics. But I have to say that I really don’t have anything on how to study and do well in school. It’s true that I did learn a few things along the way, but these past four years for me were largely an exercise in finding and accepting myself. I’ve had no self-confidence, I’ve thought my life not worth living, I’ve tried so hard to fit in socially, I’ve been betrayed by multiple people I thought I was really good friends with, I’ve been generically unhappy for the longest time, so I know what it’s like. And so, in the order I thought of them, here’s some hopefully good advice. Learn to be alone. When you’re left to yourself by friends, peers, and family (which is actually quite often), you’ve got to be able to enjoy your own company, plus maybe those from your laptop, phone, iPod, or a good book. Come to terms with yourself, accept who you are. Obviously, you should recognize points you could improve on–but don’t get too caught up on them: “oh I should probably lose some weight” instead of “omgeeee I’m so fattttt D: D: D:” Don’t live fearing the judgments of your peers. People are too busy being conscious about themselves that they don’t have time to spend picking you apart. It’s a little phenomenon called the spotlight effect. Never feel too sorry for yourself because then you dig yourself into a depressed hole and will actually just fail at life for an extended period of time. There’s always, always someone worse off. Heck, you’ve got all your limbs and aren’t starving and you’re not living in a squalid refugee camp or a slum or in fear of overhead missiles. Life’s good. Be optimistic; it’ll make life that much easier. Complaining about work will not cause work to get done. I spent all of last semester complaining about my five college applications instead of doing them. And guess what? My college essays weren’t kind enough to write themselves. And in this vein, procrastination is actually really bad. You kick back for a few weeks, and all of a sudden, you’ve got an essay due, and two exams, and another large assignment; you need to go to a public meeting tonight and layout for the WEB tomorrow, and zomguh EA college apps are due in two weeks and you’ve got 2/9 essays written… and you’re looking at six hours of sleep for many days and splitting headaches during the days (I get really bad headaches if I get less than 8 hours of sleep a night…). But unfortunately, I and you and we will all keep doing this to ourselves. :/ Be confident and comfortable in your own skin. It makes you have more authority and people will like you more when you’re no longer wobbly-wishy and when you stop self-deprecating yourself all the time. But of course don’t be arrogant. Oh, and if you haven’t, read some manga. Not that shojo crap (stuff for girls, usually all sappy romances with large glittering eyes) in the M.C., but some good shonen manga (for guys, usually action- and adventure-based). www.mangareader.net . Get into Fullmetal Alchemist–the best ever–or try Beelzebub for laughs. Try Death Note for psychological thrill or Bleach for endless battles sans plotline. Fairy Tail’s fun and has awesome characters, and the clothing’s all pretty scanty, if you’re into that. Also, go to www.deadwhale.com , and play some Bubble Spinner. You’ll find that life is just like Bubble Spinner in a way…