70°

Music During Passing Period Resounding Success

Undeniably, Ames High loves its music. Our band’s members rank in the millions and every other student is plugged into an ipod between and during their classes. Just last week, dozens gathered in the back lobby to beat drums, driven by their insatiable lust for sick tunage. But now, collaborative efforts by the Student Body Co-Presidents Cheyenne Pritchard, Louis Dupuis, and Hangil Lee with a dash of Dr. Avise and a drizzle of Spence’s consent have, at long last, come together to “compose” the sweet, sweet confection that is music during passing period. “It’s awesome. It gives me an urge to sing along as I am strolling down the hallways. I’m excited for winter when they play holiday music,” said sophomore Madeline Topf. Currently, Ames High is being graced with some boppin’ beats courtesy of LITE 104.1, self-described “light rock with a lot less talk.” “We wanted to pick a music station that would play a variety of clean, safe songs that people would be able to sing too. We are hoping to switch it up later in the year so it doesn’t get too boring,” Student Body Co-President Cheyenne Pritchard said. The most controversial issue regarding the music played during passing period has been the choice of tunes. Despite good intentions and relentless efforts, some students will never be pleased. “If I wanted to listen to the music presently being sent into my eardrums in the halls, I would go to the salon where I get my nails done every week. 104.1 is for my pedicure, not my educational institution,” sophomore Christopher Jackson said. Besides conflicts of personal taste, there have been some reception problems. “I know there are problems with the volume. A lot of students like the music and want to be able to hear it better, but they want to talk too, and if the music gets louder everyone in the hallways will get louder as well. Also, there have been some mechanical volume failures in the past,” sophomore Trey Wooge said. “Spotty reception? Nahhh. That’s not real,” Pritchard said. “Most people have enjoyed the music, but I have gotten a couple teachers who think the announcements are too loud or this and that, and we’re working on it.” Some of these concerns have been raised by teachers with double lab periods that occasionally require continuing their experiments between their classes. “I think [music during double lab periods] is alright, except they should let me choose the music. But it’s better than the announcements. And it’s better than Mr. Evans,” science teacher Craig Walter jollily quipped. Eventually, the music may transition from radio to CDs, allowing for student requests to be submitted. No matter the direction or magnitude the music takes, Ames High students can be sure that their democratically elected Co-Presidents will fight for their right to sick tunage.