39°

Aquapalooza provides water to those in need

The global water crisis takes more lives annually than cancer, AIDS, and war. Clean Water Movement, an Ames-based 501(c)3 non-profit, aims to change that. Dustin Brooks, an Ames resident and Iowa State alumnus, started Clean Water Movement in the fall of 2010 after an eye opening trip to Bolivia. All current staff members of CWM are volunteers, and Brooks serves as president and oversees all activity. They have since drilled 8 sustainable and easily-accessible wells in different regions of Bolivia with two more in progress there. Partnering with the Ames Uganda Project, they plan to drill a well in the rural Ugandan village of Busalamu this summer. “Mr. Mooney [told us] the village of Busalamu is in immediate need of a clean water source,” Brooks said. “They are miles and miles away from one currently.” However, drilling wells in rural areas comes with a big price. With the help of seniors Vince Greenwald, who is a permanent staff member of CWM, and Ezgi Ustundag, Clean Water Movement found a creative, fun way to fund this project. Aquapalooza, an 8-hour music festival, will feature 14 local bands. It will be held in the Ames High gymnasium on Saturday, April 7th from 1:30 pm to 10 pm. Other than good music, there will be a merchandise table and food tickets available at the event. All proceeds will go directly towards the proposed well in Uganda. “Music festivals are a blast and draw in so many people of many ages,” Brooks said. “I’m excited because this festival is centered around a great cause and people in desperate need. All of these bands are coming to perform and play for free because they are excited to be a part of this hybrid event.” There will be big acts like the Poison Control Center and Christopher the Conquered, folk music from Ames High favorite Jaw Harp Potential, the revival of the techno legend Super Robot Baby, and many more. Nate Logsdon, co-owner of the Ames Progressive, was heavily involved in recruiting local musicians and is playing at Aquapalooza in his rock-dance-ska band, the Mumford’s. “We have a big horn section and do choreographed dance moves. We’ll play high-tempo and fun rock music,” Logsdon said. “We definitely get down.” Logsdon, an Ames High alumnus, hasn’t played music in the gymnasium since he was in pep band in 2002. “I can’t wait to rock my alma mater.” “We will bring a little bit of cuteness, and probably a lot of cynicism. We will also bring a weird assortment of instruments, and some fun songs,” junior Iris Brenner said about her band, Jaw Harp Potential. Fellow band members juniors Charlotte Mann and Melissa Jones shared Brenner’s enthusiasm for the event. Brooks said that most of the planning for Aquapalooza has been in the hands of seniors Greenwald and Ustundag, two honors students with already busy schedules. The Ames High National Honor Society will be volunteering at this event as well. “The biggest challenge was dealing with all the details and logistics that go into an event like this,” Greenwald said. “So far, things have gone relatively smoothly.” Clean Water Movement, Ustundag, Logsdon and National Honor Society’s hard work will all be paid off this Saturday. If you weren’t able to stop by the booth this week, wristbands for $10 a piece and Aquapalooza merchandise will be on sale at the event. Come thirsty for great local music all for a great global cause.