57°

Junior nostalgia

Becoming a Senior From the first day you walk into the high school as a wee freshman, you’re always looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel, and by that I mean the culmination of high school. Done. Forever. And now that I’ve caught your attention by making you think that this is a senior column (which it isn’t, unfortunately), I’m going to shed some light on juniors becoming seniors. Honestly, I think that this is going to be an even crazier feeling than what seniors go through at the END of their senior year. Think about it- the beginning of senior year marks your year of ‘lasts’. Your last first day of high school. Your last home picture. You start making everything into lasts, which can get to be a little depressing, I’m sure. Of course, even more surreal will be the college application process and the fact that you are in fact ACTUALLY going to apply somewhere, leaving your fate in the hands of some nameless, faceless, and probably soulless, admissions officer. This is one of the most crucial times of high school, and most juniors can’t help but think, ‘This time next year, I’ll be out of highschool!’ Personally, having been friends with many seniors who are graduating, it’s almost like I’ve experienced ‘senioritis’(perhaps a little too much) and been excited (for them) as acceptance letters came back and they started to figure what direction their lives would take after high school. However, the one thing that I haven’t been able to do is imagine myself in the same position. It’s so hard to actually imagine myself leaving the high school and continuing on elsewhere. The looming college application process seems like the summit of a mountain that I can’t really move past, and it’s strange to think that next year will be my own year of lasts. To the seniors, good luck on your exploits in the future, and to the junior class, get ready for your own final year of highschool- make sure to put every last moment to use.