Old people problems that will soon be yours

Serena Paulson, Managing Editor

Sooner than you think, you’ll be graduating high school and moving out of your nice and comfortable home with your parents. You’re probably thinking that your life won’t change all that much, THINK AGAIN. I cannot tell you how how many times I have worried about buying my favorite foods in college or how I will have less sleep than I already do.

Imagine being an adult. Try being in your parents shoes for a day. I know for a fact that I am not ready for a full-time job, let alone pay for my electric and water bill. Ames High students’ employment may vary, but having your own full time job probably sounds like a nightmare. I sell my soul to the pool every summer, working as frequently as the law allows me to do so. But that is no comparison to the day-in-day-out continual monotonous routine of the workforce.

Along with a job, you get the magnificent responsibility of paying taxes. Another blessing you will be allowed to partake in the electing of officials to govern over our great nation. You get to vote now and you are now fortunate enough to spend hours in the court for jury duty as well.

Everyone celebrates another year of life when you reach your birthday, but that also means you are another year closer to your death. I hate to be cynical, but it’s true. You officially have one less year of your life. You slowly come to the realization that you are going to have more yesterdays than tomorrows and that can be a little terrifying. There’s a reason why old people live it up by getting nice cars and living in warmer climates: they know they are bordering on the edge of death, so they decide to go big or go home.

I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade. You really shouldn’t worry too much about the future, growing old, and how your precious time will be spent. But thinking carelessly and not realizing what you have in front of you will be the end of your own self-awareness, which is rather detrimental and problematic, much like the impending mature and adult decisions you will be making in the next few years.